Such was its importance and location, Solomon's Post became the site for a turnpike and the toll house that stands there today.
The origin of the naming is not certain, but a mid nineteenth century chronicler ventures that 'the tolls on this turnpike-trust may have been farmed by one of those numerous Jews who took up that class of business'.
The following extract is courtesy of http://www.turnpikes.org.uk/ and was published in 1825 some two years before the Shaldon to Teignmouth bridge was constructed and gives rise to the riddle of the names of these lanes and what happened to them.
'and from thence across Watcombe Lane to Solomon's Post, with One hundred and twenty Yards of each of the Seven several Roads which lead from or near to Solomon's Post aforesaid, and from Solomon's Post across several Fields to the Lane or Road which leads from Maidencombe Cross to Maidencombe Village, and from thence by Gabwell Common Hill to Stoke Common Hill, and from thence to the Town or Village of Shaldon,'
(Holloway Head is the position of Watcombe Park and later renamed Brunel Manor.)
A This is Claddon Lane.
B The steep hill dropping down to Higher Rocombe.
C This is Ridge Road.
D The short section to Gabwell Lane no longer exists. A house has now been built in this position.
E This is Longpark Hill south. This connected to the main northern thoroughfare to Shaldon.
F This is Sladnor Park Road which led down to the old church and Maidencombe village.
G Road from St Marychurch and part of the yet to be built A379 Teignmouth Road.
This work incorporates historical material provided by the Great Britain Historical GIS Project and the University of Portsmouth through their web site A Vision of Britain through Time (http://www.VisionofBritain.org.uk).